Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Poo, Poo, and More Poo

Another post about sick kids. We had a fun weekend at our house. Daycare was closed last Thursday and Friday so Grandma came to stay and babysit…..just in time for the poo-party. Flower seemed to be having a few “issues” Wednesday night but I thought she probably ate more than her fair share of fruit that week because she’ll do that if you let her. Thursday things were a little questionable and I thought she might be coming down with a little stomach bug. Friday she had a check-up so I ran my theory by our doctor and he confirmed that a GI tract bug was going around and she would be better in 24-48 hours. So we took it easy and stayed close to home.

There was a lull in the action Saturday and I mistakenly took it as Flower was feeling better so we headed to town for some shopping and pizza. Let’s just say we didn’t get much shopping done and dinner wasn’t very relaxing because Flower took a turn for the worse right after we ordered pizza. Home we went and back to the bath….or sink as the case may be. Flower’s little bum was pretty red from all the activity and scrubbing so I was soaking her in the kitchen sink with baking soda in the water. Let’s just say the giant box of baking soda I thought would last for months only made it about a week. But if you are dealing with some serious diaper rash I highly suggest a baking soda bath.

Sunday morning Nana and Papa picked Princess up for church because I didn’t think it wise to take Flower out….oh, did I mention Daddy went hunting last weekend….yeah, flying solo in the parent department, thank goodness for Grandma…..but Grandma had to leave early Sunday morning. So far Flower was doing well and Daddy called to say he was on his way home (4 hours away) around 10:30 am. I brought him up to speed on our weekend and told him to hurry; I was tired of changing diapers. Just as I was ending the call, Flower gave me the “look” and grabbed her diaper. The poo was back….with a vengeance.

We cleaned and soaked her little bum and I headed down to the laundry to get some clean clothes from the dryer. I was having a hard time keeping up with the laundry at this point. I dressed Flower and grabbed the basked of clean clothes and took it upstairs to fold. I went back downstairs to see what Flower was doing and she wanted me to pick her up. I carried her upstairs and when I put her down my arm was wet. Seriously. So, back upstairs we headed for another round of cleaning and soaking. Oh, and the smell. I’ve never smelled anything so horrible. Through it all though Flower was a trooper. She wasn’t too fussy. She never got a fever or anything, just the runs….in the form of a marathon.

Flower is all better now. Her appetite came back on Monday and she practically ate us out of house and home. Now I’m just waiting for Princess to start vomiting…. By the way, if you have trouble getting a little one to drink pedialyte, try buying the unflavored stuff and mixing a small packet of their favorite jello with it. Flower drank an entire bottle of cherry jello pedialyte and let’s just say we had some colorful diapers….

No comments: