Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sprouts

About a month ago, or maybe longer, we brought some peas home from Nana's garden. They were shelled in a plastic baggie. We put them in the crisper drawer and forgot about them. You'll see where I'm going with this in a minute.

Last weekend I was rummaging through the crisper drawer looking for a veggie to accompany our pb&j sandwiches for lunch. I grabbed a bag of carrots and discovered the peas.

The peas were a bit moldy and many of them had sprouted. Normally I would have thrown them out, but the day before Princess brought home a book she made at school about a boy who planted pumpkin seeds which sprouted, grew vines, flowered, and grew pumpkins...or something like that.

When I saw the sprouts on the peas I got out the book and we read it again. When Princess got to the page about the sprouts I showed her the sprouts on the peas. We discussed how the seeds sprout, grow plants, flowers, etc. Then we decided to leave the peas in the fridge for a while and see how much they would grow. I should also add Flower was sitting right next to Princess at the counter and was party to the entire conversation.

Last night we were watching TV and Flower was in the fridge. I heard her open the crisper drawer but didn't think much of it. I asked her to get out of the fridge so she shut the door and walked over to the living room...with a mouth full of sprouted peas. That kid will eat anything.