Monday, June 15, 2009

There are no words….

….to describe our weekend. Dear Husband summarized it best last night after the girls went to bed and we were sitting on the couch. “This weekend sucked.” It really wasn’t bad every minute, just a few really, really bad minutes and of course, those are the ones still fresh in our mind.

Flower woke up around midnight last Thursday with a tummy ache. I hoped it was something she ate but at 7:00 am Friday morning she was standing in her bed calling for me. There was a stench coming from her room. You guessed it, diarrhea. We stuck close to the bathroom for a couple hours and she seemed to be better. The rest of the day we took it easy and played outside.

Saturday morning Flower still had a little diarrhea and Princess limped into our room crying. She told me her leg hurt and itched on the inside and her body wouldn’t let her scratch her leg bone. I wasn’t completely awake yet and I didn’t understand what she was trying to tell me. When we got up I saw a hard, red slightly swollen area on her leg and arm. DH and I poked around and figured she must have been bitten when she was outside the previous evening. I applied some prescription crème left over from a similar incident last summer and forged ahead.

We had a birthday party to attend for Sweet Boy Saturday afternoon. Flower was better by late morning but we didn’t want to share our good fortune with Homestead so Flower and DH went to Nana’s while Princess and I went to the party. Princess had a blast at the Adventure Zone (large climbing gym with a pool of balls) and is thinking about having her birthday party there.

DH called just as we were leaving the party and was going to pick up dinner on his way home. Princess and I headed home. About 15 minutes later I get another call from DH. His voice was a little frantic and Flower was sobbing on the background so loud he couldn’t hear me. This made my blood pressure skyrocket and I was yelling back into my phone (as if that would help). DH was finally able to hear me and Flower was sick. Puke everywhere. They were in the drive thru. It wasn’t pretty.

I won’t go into the gory details but let’s just say DH scooped handfuls out of the car seat and I emptied her shoes when they got home. It really wasn’t pretty. After we got Flower cleaned up she appeared to be feeling much better so I mistakenly thought we were on the downhill slope.

Sunday morning DH got up early and went fishing. The girls and I hung out again. Flower’s stomach seemed ok so I was hopefully we’d be ok on Monday…until Princess showed me her arm. Her leg was better, or at least the same. Her arm was not. The redness and swelling had gone from slightly larger than a golf ball to softball size or more. It was warm to the touch and tender. I’m not a doctor but this made me worry. DH got home at noon and I called the doctor. I knew he was on call this weekend and I really wanted to talk to our doctor. (insider info from Homestead) His nurse told me to get to the clinic ASAP so Princess and I dropped what we were doing (eating lunch) and headed to town. The doctor confirmed my suspicion that her arm didn’t look good and prescribed some heavy-duty antibiotics. We also have to go back and see him this afternoon.

We spent the afternoon on the couch watching movies and relaxing. DH started dinner and Flower’s tummy took a turn for the worse. Again, I won’t go into the details in case anyone is reading this over lunch, but I will say I lost count on diaper #5 about 30 minutes into the marathon. Flower’s bum looks like a tomato even after the soda bathes. We finally got around to dinner. Nana and Papa stopped by to say hi. I was cleaning up the kitchen and Princess came to tell me something. All of the sudden I can feel something wet splashing up on my feet and legs. Dose #1 of the antibiotics was all over the kitchen floor and fridge and Princess was a mess. Did I mention our house already had a residual diarrhea smell? Now we can add vomit to the aroma. Nice.

So more bathes, more antibiotics, yada yada yada, and we finally got everyone to bed. I called work to tell my boss I wouldn’t be in today. Oh yeah, and one last call to our doctor to make sure more redness and swelling wasn’t cause for a trip to the ER. By some miracle everyone except me (Did I mention my cough came back so I had to refill my antibiotics yesterday also?) slept well last night. I have my fingers crossed Flower is past whatever took over her tummy and Princess keeps her antibiotics down. So far so good.

1 comment:

Auntie C said...

WOW.....I'd have to agree with Mark that your weekend sucked! Hope everyone is feeling better soon!