Monday, May 4, 2009

Park-n-Play

The girls went to the park for a picnic with Nana and Papa on Saturday. Dear Husband was skiing….yes, in May, I know, will this snow ever end? I ran some errands and met up with everyone at the park.

Princess is a little shy around strangers. The big and little variety. She refuses to speak to adults she doesn’t know, which is mostly fine except when the cashier at Target gives her a sticker and she needs to say thank you. Princess usually doesn’t speak to kids her age either, even those she has been in tumbling class with for six months. Both DH and I are more on the quiet side in group settings so she comes by it naturally.

Flower isn’t shy. She’s the one we need to keep a very close eye on. I wouldn’t put it past her to leave the park with a stranger if they offered her ice cream and balloons. This frightens me but we’ll deal with it.

By the time I join the party at the park lunch was over and it was time to play. Princess took Papa to the swings and Flower took me to the train. A little boy ran over to Flower and tried to strike up a conversation. Flower replied to the best of her ability and made a new friend. Princess eventually came back to check on us and the little boy tried to talk to her. Luckily he’s young and didn’t take offense to Princess’ aloofness.

Princess finally warmed up to the little guy and the three of them played together very well. I was chatting with his father who told me he was three and not bashful which I had already deduced. They were a nice pair and the girls enjoyed the new playmate.

That evening at dinner we were telling DH about our day and I was describing the little boy’s father to DH because he looked familiar to me. Princess broke in and said “Mommy, I thought the man was Johnny’s grandpa but he kept calling him dad.” So that leads me to my next question. Do I look old enough to be someone’s grandmother, or do I look very youthful for my age because I don’t think Johnny’s daddy was much older than me?

No comments: