Friday, May 8, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

It's Friday and our weekend went from no plans and yard work to a parade in the rain (or snow from the looks of it), lunch with the great grandparents, an early Mother's Day celebration with different great grandparents on Saturday, and a day trip to out-of-town relatives on Sunday. The girls are watching the Wonder Pets Mother's Day special so I thought I'd take a moment to post a quick note.

I was about half way through my pregnancy with Princess on my first Mother's Day. We were visiting our parents that weekend and at church they asked all the mothers to come up front. The pastor said a few words and we all got a flower. I remember feeling a little strange with all the other mothers who were mostly my mother's age because compared to them, what did I know? I didn't deserve any recognition, heck, I hadn't done anything yet. In fact I wasn't really showing and didn't plan on getting out of my seat but Papa insisted. I was excited about becoming a mother, but I had no idea what a wonderful, amazing thing it really is.

Mother's Day is suppose to be about celebrating your mother and reminding her of the fact that without her you wouldn't be you. I don't just mean that literally. I'm very fortunate to have a wonderful mother. She's caring, compassionate, and always sacrifices for the good of her family. I can't think of a time when she has put herself before someone else, especially her children. She's the glue that holds everything together. Without her we'd never make it. I know there are days when she feels like she just can't do it anymore. I don't blame her. I know I couldn't walk a day in her shoes. But she always does, and I don't tell her how much I appreciate her often enough.

I think Mother's Day is also a time to cherish your children if you are a mother. I had a great life before Princess, but it's beyond belief now that I have her and Flower. They are both amazing people, even at such a young age. They make every day new and exciting. They make us laugh. They make me smile. I have no idea what we did without them. Life must have been really boring. I'd like to take all the credit for creating such beautiful children, but I know they are the result of God's blessings and a loving family. I'm a total believer it takes a village to raise a child.

So I guess this wasn't a short post after all. But all you mothers (and children too) out there will understand. I hope everyone has a great weekend. Happy Mother's Day! Love you mom!

K-

No comments: