Friday, July 31, 2009

Gone Like A Flash

This post sounds a little familiar. It seems I feel this way at the end of every month.

Tomorrow it will be August. At the end of the month Princess will start school. Ok, so it’s just pre-kindergarten, but still, it’s a big change.

I’m looking forward to the end of August because I think Princess will really enjoy pre-k.

I’m not looking forward to the end of August because that means summer is officially over. The habitual planner in me is not looking forward to change, however my work schedule may change for the better so that will be nice. My schedule change is still up in the air but I’m hoping for a couple less hours a week which will help our daily schedule immensely….not our checkbook, but my life will be less hectic. I hope.

I’m also not looking forward to the end of August because I’m sure preschool will bring a entirely new list of things Princess will learn and I’m not talking about reading, writing and arithmetic if you know what I mean. There will be 11 other kids in her class and I’m sure some of them will be more “seasoned” than Princess. Don’t get me wrong, we don’t shelter her from the world, but we use avoidance as a means to make life less complicated some times.

For example, Princess will be five in a couple months. She has only drank soda a handful of times. She has had a root beer float for a special occasion at daycare once and 7-Up at two or three birthday parties. We’ve never given her a drink of our soda and she knows soda is not for kids. Flower is two and she has never had soda. I’m not opposed to soda. I drink soda. Not a lot, but I do enjoy a Dr. Pepper on occasion. I think children don’t need any more empty calories which rot their teeth. They get enough sugar in all the candy we eat :) I have a dreadful sweet tooth and I’m trying not to pass it on to my children.

Enjoy the last days of summer. Don’t blink because Christmas will be here before we know it.

No comments: