Tuesday, July 21, 2009

It Was a Wet and Wild Kind of Weekend

It’s Tuesday. I’m not really sure where Monday went. Before I know it the weekend will be here again. That’s a good thing. Summer is flying by. That’s a bad thing. Last weekend was the first in almost 3 months which we’ve been home and cold/stomach virus free. Rather than sticking around a house in terrible need of a good scrubbing we played at the lake and on the river.

Friday the girls and I went out for lunch at a new bakery. It was delicious. Princess takes after her parents and enjoys dining out. Flower just likes to make a mess with her food so I say dining out is one less time I’ll have to clean the floor. That afternoon we met Homestead at the lake for some fun in the sun. The kids had a marvelous time wading in the water and playing in the sand. We will definitely put the lake on our list of things to do again before the summer is over.

Saturday was Dear Husband’s birthday so he went fishing while the girls and I watched Saturday morning cartoons. We were completely worn out from our outing on Friday. There was a commercial for a hotel on TV with a line about going out or staying in and Princess looked at me and said “We are not going out today….I’m exhausted!” After a long nap Princess felt better so we dropped the girls off at Nana’s for the evening. DH and I ran some errands and went out for pizza.

Sunday we took the raft out for a little fishing. We had a big crew. Nana, Papa, Grandma M, and the four of us. We packed a lunch and took the fishing poles. It was Flower’s first trip in the raft. She did ok but we’ll probably wait until next summer to take her again. Sitting in one place for more than 30 seconds isn’t really her thing yet. Princess is a little better in that department so she and Papa fishing off the back of the raft. Grandma M, Nana and I tried to entertain Flower in the front of the raft. DH rowed. We saw river otters, pelicans, geese, a bald eagle and deer. Princess and I each caught a fish. Actually Papa hooked the fish and Princess reeled it in. I was getting lunch out of the cooler and missed it but DH said she gave the poor little fish the ride of its life. A good day was had by all. Nana and Grandma M made a delicious birthday dinner for DH to finish off our day.

That was our weekend. The girls are still exhausted and so am I. It seems like all we do is try to catch up on sleep and rest during the week so we can go like crazy on the weekend. I love summer but sometimes I long for winter so I have an excuse to stay home.

No comments: