Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Same Old Stuff

Not much new around here. I’ve been busy at work which seems to make the weekends fly by even faster than usual. It’s been a while since I’ve posted so I thought I’d better let the world know we’re still kicking.

Last week was crazy busy at work and as I sit here typing I can’t recall anything interesting or funny to share. Princess had gymnastics on Thursday and she was invited to stay for the “big girl” class which is an extra ½ hour at the end of her regular class. Nana is a trooper and let her stay. Princess does well and deserves to move up to the longer class. It’s wrestling with Flower for an extra 30 minutes that scares me.

Friday the girls and I stayed home and did a little laundry and house work. It always amazes me how much crud builds up on the floors even when we rarely wear our shoes inside. Then we headed to town to shop a going-out-of-business sale at a local kid’s shop and found some great deals. We bought Princess two pair of her favorite sandals in different colors and sizes so she’ll be set for the next two years. We found a few birthday gifts for Flower and a really good life vest for the girls since Flower will be too big for the infant vest this summer. When all was said and done we walked out with about a dozen items and spent about 20% of the retail price. Good for us, not so good for the shop owner. I am sad to see her close but it doesn’t surprise me. She sold high end outdoor clothing and equipment for infants and children. Unfortunately there are not enough parents in our town willing to spend over $100 on one outfit for their child who will only be wearing it for one season. We visited her store regularly and made a few purchases, mostly shoes because there’s no where else in town to buy the shoes we like, so now we’ll be back to online shoe shopping. The shop also had a play area with an adorable playhouse and a kayak which the girls loved. I haven’t broke the news to Princess yet but she won’t be happy when she finds out the shop closed.

We finished off the day with a trip to Pizza Hut for dinner. We don’t eat out much these days, Flower just can’t seem to sit still for an entire meal and its one thing to wrestle her into her chair at home, but I’m not playing that game in a restaurant. Don’t get me wrong, she’s not horrible to take out, it just seems like more work than it’s worth right now. I like to relax when I go out for dinner and there’s not much relaxation while entertaining a toddler in a restaurant. Princess loves to eat out and she’s very good at it. She has always been well behaved in restaurants. She is able to sit still and color while we are waiting for our food. Hubby called Flower the anti-Princess the other day and that pretty much sums it up. The good news is while it makes going out for dinner a little challenging right now, Nana and Papa assure us that Auntie A was the exact same way as a child and she turned out pretty well so we just need to ride this one out.

Saturday we went to town so Princess and Daddy could get haircuts and pick up a few items at Target. Daddy always gets his hair cut at one of the two national chain salons we have here. I’ve been taking Princess to the other one because there is a Starbucks next door. We make a girls day out and have coffee before or after her appointment depending on if we have to wait. So about half way through her hair cut Princess says “Mommy, why didn’t we go to the place we usually get my haircut?” Thanks kiddo. So I did some fast talking about how our stylist changed her hours, etc. and changed the subject. I’m always afraid to offend the person with the scissor and once I find a stylist I like I’m very faithful. I’m sure this girl is used to non-repeat customers because I don’t think you can make an appointment with a specific stylist but just the same, I wanted her to like us in case she gets our number next time. I mentioned the haircuts only because about a week ago Hubby was sitting in the living room and Princess came down the stairs and said to him “Daddy, your hair is long, you need a haircut!” I swear I hadn’t mentioned a thing about his hair so she came up with that on her own.

Sunday we made it to church and it was nothing short of a miracle. Princess had nightmares all night and Flower was her usual sleepless self so we were all very tired. We napped and watched football all afternoon and into the evening. Hubby’s team didn’t do so well this year so he only watched 95% of the games instead of every single second. Princess asked when football season was over and I told her there was only one more game left this year and then we wouldn’t have to watch football until the fall. She paused for a second and in a concerned voice asked “What will Daddy watch when football is over?” I said baseball, to which she rolled her eyes and replied “Great!”

I had Monday off so the girls and I hung around the house again. That was our week. Auntie J is coming to visit this weekend so Princess has begun to plan the entertainment. Let’s just say there is an old prom dress of mine that is going to get some use....

1 comment:

Homestead said...

Darn... is it closed already? I've been meaning to go down there to scavenge but work has been crazed.

I cut Tuff's hair before Christmas. Usually that's Hot's job. She won't wear piggies... only "whon pownie" because piggies don't work with a baseball cap. She is her father's daughter.