Monday, May 17, 2010

Lucky

Friday night Dear Husband decided to roast marshmallows. The weather was, and still is, gorgeous and we are all ready for summer. Flower missed her nap that afternoon and she fell asleep right after dinner. I hauled her up to her bed and left her door open thinking she would wake up after a quick nap and join us. She didn’t wake up and slept for over 12 hours but I digress.

After I tucked Princess in later that night, I looked out our bathroom window to check on the fire pit. The fire was mostly out when we came inside, but we were keeping an eye on it anyway. As I looked out, I heard a strange noise I couldn’t place. It sounded like the sprinklers were on in the backyard but they were not. Our neighbor had been working in his backyard so I figured he was watering something close to the fence.

I went downstairs a few minutes later and I could still here noise from the kitchen. It was louder and sounded closer. I stuck my head out the patio door and immediately heard a spraying water noise coming from under the deck. This was not good. All the plumbing for the sprinklers is under that deck.

I called DH and he ran outside. Sure enough, the pipe next to the shut off valve for the sprinklers had broke. Luckily it was a small crack. Luckily we were home when it happened. Luckily it happened when we were awake. Luckily it happened on a warm evening when the windows were open so I could hear the water. I could go on but you get the picture.

DH did a little plumbing first thing Saturday and all is well. I have a bad case of the “What ifs”. I guess if this is the only plumbing emergency we ever have we’ll be very, very lucky.

2 comments:

Christal said...

This post made me think of our sprinkler story from when we went to visit my brother. We left home Saturday afternoon and were coming back Sunday afternoon. We had 2 big dogs & 1 little that we left in their large yard kennel with plenty of food and water along with shade cover, dream dog houses, and every dog toy & treat known to man. When we drove into our driveway on Sunday, our neighbor met us. She said I'm sorry, I just am afraid of big dogs, so I couldn't do anything, but I want you to be prepared for what happened. That made me worried.

It turned out that after we left the Hoodini crew opened up the kennel door, swam in the pool, and played gopher pop-up catch it with the sprinkler heads as they popped up. She watched from her deck as they "caught" each one and "stopped" it.

The result was that we had a muddy grassy pool and the back yard looked liked it had been used for a monster truck rally or motocross race with a lot of participants. Totally trashed. We ended up re-sodding the whole backyard.

We've laughed about it for years, all it took was the thought of our petite little neighbor lady watching from her deck as the disaster occurred. Just imagine the glee of our "big" boys running from sprinkler head to sprinkler head. (They'd never given us any indication that they could get out of the kennel or that they wanted to play in the sprinkler.)

kae said...

Wow! I already felt very fortunate we caught the leak almost immediately. That's a great story.