Friday, September 3, 2010

Green Pumpkin Pie

The girls and I have been reading the Little House on the Prairie series this year. We started in January and read a chapter or two each night before bed. The girls really like to hear about the Ingalls family and I enjoy the books too.

This week we started the sixth book in the series “The Long Winter”. In the chapter we read last night the Ingalls awoke to a very hard frost on the 1st of October that did a number on their garden. They had to pick at the vegetables including the green tomatoes. When I said green tomatoes Flower said “Ew, gross, green tomatoes!” and wrinkled up her face. I don’t think she has ever had green tomatoes, I’m sure I haven’t, so I don’t know why she thinks they would be so disgusting.

Later on in the chapter Ma decided to make a pie from a small pumpkin. Princess fell asleep early but Flower was still listening. Flower heard the word pie and immediately started spouting ideas for a pie. She told me we could make a green pumpkin pie from our garden. I reminded her that we didn’t plant any pumpkins in our garden, to which she replied, “Nana and Papa did, we could ask them for a green pumpkin.” Problem solved.

Then we discussed the green pumpkin pie. Flower decided it should have salt and pepper in it, but no sauce. Then she changed her mind and said no pepper, just salt. Now we have a recipe….green pumpkin pie with salt….a Flower original.

No comments: