Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day 2009

In honor of Earth Day I thought I’d post about what we’re doing to help out the earth. Those of you who know us know this will be a short post.

Last fall we started recycling plastics. It all came about sort of selfishly, I’ll admit. There was a group at work sponsoring a recycling drive. If you brought something in to recycle they entered you in a drawing for an iPod. It just happened to be the Monday after a road trip to Grandma and Grandpa’s so we had a vehicle full of plastic bottles.

Princess helped me gather all the empty plastic containers in the house and I showed her where to find the recycling symbol on the bottom. She immediately began checking every single plastic container in our house for the recycling symbol and number….even plastic containers that were still full. We had a few close calls with full bottles of ketchup and juice with open lids….

I’m happy to report we are still recycling plastics. Flower has even joined the recycling mission. When she finishes a bottle of water or juice she runs over and sets it on the kitchen counter and yells “CYCLE! CYCLE!” until we help her take it to the box in the garage. I must say it’s not the easiest thing to do around here. There are only a few places which accept plastics (24 hr drop-off locations that is, there are others places throughout the year which accept more but I don’t have space to store the recycling for more than a couple weeks), only 1s and 2s, and they don’t accept milk jugs. I have yet to figure out why. The girls enjoy checking every plastic container to find the number. I feel slightly less guilty about the huge ecological footprint we undoubtedly have. Every little bit helps, right?

No comments: