Friday, April 3, 2009

Where Did March Go?

It has been two weeks since I’ve posted and it seems like just yesterday. I suppose I owe my three…yes, THREE readers (Hi Wanda and girls!), an explanation. Here it goes.

Two weekends ago our family descended on our house for the weekend to help celebrate Flower’s second birthday. We had a wonderful weekend but our house is not equipped to sleep ten people very easily. We did it though and everyone seemed to be happy the next morning so the sleeping arrangements must have been ok. We spent two days cleaning the house and it was trashed five minutes after everyone arrived…not literally of course, but it seemed like it. Dear Husband always wonders why I insist upon thoroughly cleaning the house before we have overnight guests. He thinks it’s a waste of time and he is probably right. Now that I’ve publicly admitted he is right and I am wrong, we’ll see if he reads my blog.

The following week we had a three-day workweek and then DH and I flew to Las Vegas Thursday morning for the weekend. We were in Denver last spring and signed up for a “free preview” weekend for a new resort in Vegas. I found some cheap airline tickets and our lodging was paid for (in exchange for two hours of our time where we got to repeatedly say we didn’t want to buy their program) so it sounded like a good plan.

The girls stayed with Nana and Papa for the weekend. This was the first time I’ve been away from Flower overnight. Flower is pretty good about adapting to new things so I wasn’t worried about her. Princess has spent the night away from us before so she was ready for another sleepover. Our dog, on the other hand, was not. Let’s just say the girls were easier for Nana to take care of than the dog.

We all had a nice weekend. Nana had lots of activities planned for the girls. We enjoyed some great food, a magic show, live music, adult beverages, a little gambling, sleeping all night without someone calling “Mommy!” and a tour of the Hoover Dam. DH thoroughly enjoyed the tour of the Hoover Dam. We took the “Hard Hat” tour, which goes down inside the dam and through tunnels, etc. It was very interesting. My favorite part of the trip was being able to fit everything I needed in a carry-on bag and still have plenty of room to buy a few things to bring home. That and the great food we can’t get at home. Unfortunately we didn’t hit the jackpot so we both had to go to work this week.

We left for Vegas in a snowstorm and we returned in a snowstorm that was much worse. Our flight was the last one to land that morning and later on that day the roads were closed. We were happy to be home.

This week was very busy at work and our daycare lady’s father passed away so she is out of town until after Easter. We’ve been juggling our schedules and staying home with the girls this week.

I am taking this opportunity to do away with Flower’s binkie. She only uses it when she sleeps and it’s been that way for almost a year. She actually sleeps with two binkies, one in her mouth and one in her hand. I asked her if she wanted to give her binkies to Cousin H yesterday because Cousin H is still a baby (who doesn’t use a binkie, but Flower doesn’t know that) and Flower agreed. Last night we put the binkies in a box, wrapped it, decorated it with bows and stickers, and “sent it off” to Cousin H. Flower wasn’t very happy at bedtime when she didn’t have her binkies but after I reminded her a dozen times we gave them to Cousin H she finally went to sleep. She woke up twice last night, which isn’t uncommon for her, but she didn’t go back to sleep as easily as usual so she had a rough night. She is napping now and it took a bit longer for her to go to sleep, but she made so I think she’ll be over the binkie by Monday.

I tried to slice the tip of her binkies last year but she immediately noticed and that just made her mad. I was weak and needed my sleep so I gave in and bought new ones. This time I’ll be stronger. I hope once Flower has moved past the binkie she will start to sleep all night, or at least not wake me up when she wakes up. A girl can wish, can’t she?

2 comments:

Carlye Redding said...

Awww....too cute. Since Halle starting teething she wanted one, well actually she would probably be fine without but Phil still puts one in her mouth. If it wasn't for him I bet she wouldn't need one or know they exist.
Love the blogs I forgot you did this but I am going to read more so that means you got to get a blogging! ;)

kae said...

Binkies can be a big help and a huge pain to get rid of....good luck! I'll try to post more :)