Monday, February 2, 2009

The Search Has Begun

We are considering sending Princess to preschool this fall. Princess will miss the kindergarten cut-off date by a couple weeks which is OK with us, but we’re afraid she’ll be a bit bored at daycare for another year. Especially since her best friend L has been attending preschool this year. It seemed like an easy decision on the surface, but after further review, there’s a lot more to it.

When? Hubby can’t really adjust his work schedule and mine work schedule has a little breathing room but not a lot. We’ll have to work out a different drop off time, pick up time, shuttle back to daycare (pre-k is only mornings), etc.

Where? Nana heard of a program very close to my office which makes me very happy so I’ve been asking around for other references. Turns out this is where best friend L and her siblings attend/attended and the have nothing but wonderful things to say about the teachers. I’ve also found a few others who speak highly of the program. Hubby and I met with the principal last week. She was lovely. I left the meeting wanting to start bringing Princess to preschool immediately because everyone was so friendly, the rooms had lots of great projects, and the children in the classes we visited were having a great time. I went into the meeting with a long list of questions….I suppose it was more like an interview….and the principal answered everything and left us with more information to make our decision easier.

Cost? Yeah, there’s that issue. It won’t be so fun next year because we’ll be paying double for Princess because she’ll still be at daycare so preschool will be an added expense. Also, I may need to adjust my work schedule and cut back a couple hours because preschool drop off is almost an hour later than daycare drop off. We’ll be crunching the numbers….a lot.

We’ve decided to register Princess for the pre-k program this fall. Registration starts this week and we have to wait until Wednesday because the first two days of enrollment are for families with children already in the program. It makes sense, but it makes me a little nervous. Princess heard from best friend L that Hubby and I were at her school this week so now she knows school is in her future. I was hoping to delay telling her until I knew she got in and I can get my work schedule arranged. Now I’m just praying it all works out and I don’t have to start looking for another preschool.

No comments: