Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What Does It All Mean?

I saw this video at a conference I attended a few months ago and just received the same file from a friend yesterday. I don't normally post about anything besides Princess and Flower but I find the stats very interesting….and sort of scary.

Don't get me wrong, I love technology. It's amazing. I remember the first "computer" class I took in high school and in college. I don't remember anything I learned because as the video says, that information was obsolete before I finished my studies. I barely remember the internet in the 90s and now I can't live without it. My job used to involve multiple people with numerous spreadsheets and now I manage all the data with the help of the internet and a database. I'm not in the IT field….maybe someday I'll pursue another career in that direction because it does interest me. I think about all the possibilities and the things my kids will experience in their lifetime because of technology and it's awesome. However, I can't help to shake the feeling that all the advances in technology are a little frightening as well. Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to admit I love texting my family and friends just to say hi. But is too much of a good thing....bad? If things are moving as fast as the video says….what does it all mean?

No comments: